Anthony Davis is arguably the next big thing for not just the NBA itself but for Team USA as well. Davis has earned the starting role for Team USA coming off of his sophomore year with the New Orleans Pelicans averaging 20.8 points, 10.0 rebounds and 2.8 blocks per game. Davis is only 21 years old with many years to come in the league and internationally.
Davis has played all four exhibition games for team USA and is averaging 13.8 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.7 blocks and 1.5 steals, according to USA Basketball. With the absentee of Lamarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love and Blake Griffin, Anthony Davis remains the best big man available to fill in the role for Team USA and is excelling well so far and his experience with USA Basketball has helped him come to where he is right now.
Davis’s role with Team USA will be one of their go to guys as he has a huge athletic advantage over a lot of centers and power forwards. Known for his defensive presence, Davis has a huge upside offensively as well averaging 57% from the field and 71% from the free throw line.
In my own opinion Athony Davis is going to be a multiple MVP winner and Defensive Player Of The Year for years to come. It’s scary to think that he’s this good and has only played for two seasons and is still only 21 years of age. He now has another defensive anchor with him in the front court this season, named Omer Asik, whom they acquired via trade this off-season with the Houston Rockets.
Able to play both the 4 and 5 spots, he’s a flexible player with the athleticism of no other big man in the league and he’s been that way his whole life from high school to the pros and will keep growing mentally and physically, making a lot of teams in the NBA worried when they play him.
Here is a list of Davis’s career achievements.
- Named 2014 NBA Western Conference All-Star.
- Named All-NBA first team in 2013.
- Led the NBA in 2013-14 in blocked shots (2.82 bpg.).
- Finished third in voting for 2013-14 NBA Most Improved Player.
- Named a member of the 2014-16 USA Men’s National Team.
- Won a gold medal for Team USA in the 2012 Olympic games.
- Selected to play for the USA Junior Select Team at the 2011 Nike Hoop.
- Played in the Rookies vs Sophomores game both in 2013 and 2014 at all-star weekend.